2020.1 — July 7, 2020
Potentially fixed a bug where photo exports were only a solid black rectangle. Please contact support if this continues to be an issue.
2020.0 — February 3, 2020
This release improves the performance and stability of Black Highlighter when editing large photos, such as those taken by newer iPhones. If you were previously encountering long hangs or app crashes when editing photos in the app, please try again with this update.
This release also fixes a few small UI glitches, such as the wrong font appearing on the settings page.
2019.4 — September 24, 2019
We’ve made a new tool available to you: the Ultra Highlighter. The Ultra Highlighter puts some powerful new technology:
- Specify certain words to always be hidden: names, e-mail addresses, etc. The Ultra Highlighter will automatically black them out when you open a new image.
- Scan documents from the real world for digital redaction. The Ultra Highlighter senses documents in photos, straightens them out, and gives them the same scanning technology fully-digital screenshots get.
The Ultra Highlighter is available as a one-time upgrade purchase, and is already unlocked for anyone who downloaded Black Highlighter prior to this update.
We’ve also added some improvements for all users of Black Highlighter:
- Black Highlighter now supports multiple windows on iPadOS 13.1 or newer.
- Alerts such as the one that appears if you close an image without exporting it are now properly dark if you’re using the system dark mode.
- Users of VoiceOver on iOS 13 or higher can now use the text-hiding functionality of Black Highlighter via VoiceOver, rather than only being able to navigate the app, but requiring touch to actually hide text.
- Numerous minor bug fixes and visual improvements.
2019.3 — September 2, 2019
Just cleaning up a few things before a major release coming Real Soon Now™:
- Improved color contrast throughout the app to make the things you’re supposed to be able to read easier to read.
- Fixed a visual issue with the “scanning” animation when opening an image.
2019.2 — July 9, 2019
You can now use Black Highlighter’s editing tools from inside other apps as an action. Try it out in the Photos app!
- Fixed a crash that could happen if you got too creative with your photo library while Black Highlighter was open.
- Added some keyboard shortcuts to the editing view; you can now undo and redo redactions with the standard shortcuts.
2019.1 — June 26, 2019
- Black Highlighter now supports hiding text in ALL photos, not just screenshots.
- New visualization makes it easier to find text for hiding.
- Manual (non-automatic) redaction now has full control, not just straight lines. Scribble away!
- Drag and drop support on iPad. Drag any photo into Highlighter to edit it.
1.1 — November 26, 2018
- Fixed manual redactions not working… like, at all. Oops.
- Fixed an issue where screenshots stored in iCloud Photo Library would not open when selected.
- Added support for opening images from apps such as Files.
- Improved performance of automatic redactions.
1.0.1 — May 28, 2018
- Support for the Super Retina screen of iPhone X.
- Fixed a crash when highlighting large images.
1.0 — May 31, 2017
Initial app release.